Images from The Great New Zealand Baking Book copyright © Lottie Hedley
View the method
- 2 cups Pams plain flour
- 4 tsp Pams baking powder
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp Pams salt
- large pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 11/3 cups Pams milk
- 180 g Pams butter, melted
- 2 eggs, separated
Back to ingredients
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
- Sift dry ingredients together into a bowl, then mix in cheese.
- Combine milk, melted butter and egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form when you lift the whisk.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing lightly together. Lastly fold in beaten egg white.
- Spoon into 12 well-greased or paper-lined muffin tins. Bake for 15–20 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- For variation, sometimes I add lots of chopped fresh herbs – parsley, chives, oregano – whatever I have, or add a good sprinkle of piri piri seasoning which will clear everyone’s sinuses at morning coffee. For a gentler spice, try 1 tsp of Moroccan seasoning.
- This savoury mixture also marries well with chopped sun-dried tomato, or add a few chopped Kalamata olives to the mix and then press a small cube of feta cheese into the centre of each muffin just before you cook them.