Red Wine Marinated Leg of Lamb
Marinating a whole leg of lamb in wine makes a sensational roast.
Marinating a whole leg of lamb in wine makes a sensational roast. For extra flavour pierce the lamb in 10-12 places and stud with a sliver of garlic and sprig of rosemary, thyme or oregano.
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 whole leg of lamb
- Take note of the weight of lamb.
- Place the leg of lamb into a large lidded container and pour over the wine, bayleaf, peppercorns and onion. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning to coat in the wine.
- Spit roast in an enclosed BBQ or oven at 180°C allowing 30 minutes per 500 grams. If you do not have a spit roast attachment, roast on a rack above a roasting dish for the times given above.
- Stand 20 minutes before carving.
- Serve with a salad or BBQ grilled vegetables.